Accommodation & Accessibility
We ensure the implementation of approved accessibility and religious accommodations for eligible learners in Temerty Faculty of Medicine. Please review the following for more information on how you can submit a request for an accommodation.
MD, MD/PhD, Medical Radiation Sciences, Occupational Therapy & Physician Assistant
If you would like to request an accommodation for religious observance, please contact the University of Toronto’s Multi-Faith Centre for Spiritual Study & Practice which has more information about Religious Accommodations.
Information pertaining to Religious Supports for Learners as collated by Office of Learner Affairs (OLA).
Postgraduate Medical Education
If you would like to request an accommodation for accessibility or religious reasons, please complete the Book An Appointment form and request an appointment for the following:
- Accessibility accommodation – Request a meeting with the “Accessibility Advisor”. More information about requesting an accessibility accommodation can be found below.
- Religious accommodation – Request a meeting with the “Director”
We provide assistance navigating accommodation and accessibility needs for postgraduate learners (residents and clinical fellows) in Temerty Medicine. We can meet with you to discuss the accommodation process, answer questions, share information, and collaborate to develop an individualized accommodation plan to support your success in training.
Learn more about PGME’s guidelines for student accommodations here: Guidelines for Accommodations for Postgraduate Trainees with a Disability
You are a PGME learner (resident or clinical fellow) at Temerty Medicine.
If you are experiencing difficulty, or anticipate disability-related barriers in your program, please be in touch with our office.
Disability is a wide umbrella that includes ongoing and temporary conditions. A diagnosis of disability is not required to inquire about accommodations. If you have a confirmed disability, you are not required to disclose diagnoses to receive accommodation supports or services.
If you are experiencing accessibility concerns unrelated to disability (such as family status), you are encouraged to meet with our office to discuss options.
Meeting With Our Office
You can meet with us at any point in your training to inquire about accommodations. An initial meeting with the PGME Accessibility Advisor, or Director/Associate Director of Postgraduate Learner Affairs, allows us to speak further about your accessibility-related questions and provide information and support on the best next steps. If you would like an appointment, please complete the Book An Appointment form. All learners who require accommodations will involve the PGME Accessibility Advisor.
We are currently meeting all postgraduate learners virtually through Zoom, or by telephone. Please let us know via email if you require accommodations to attend your first appointment.
You do not require medical documentation ahead of your appointment. Details can be discussed at your first meeting, including your role, as a learner, in the accommodations process.
The Accessibility Accommodation Process
The following summarizes the process for requesting an accommodation for accessibility reasons:
- Identify unique need for an accessibility accommodation.
- Book An Appointment or email email@example.com.
- Initial meeting with Accessibility Advisor and/or the Director/Associate Director of Postgraduate Learner Affairs. All learners who require accommodations will involve the PGME Accessibility Advisor.
- Discuss potential accommodation options.
- Gather required documentation and/or discuss the interim accommodation process.
- Develop and send accommodation plan to Program Director and other relevant parties.
- Accommodations are implemented by the relevant parties.
- Conduct periodic review of the accommodation plan at regular intervals or as needed.
- Accommodation development, implementation and review may require iterative consults with program and learner.
The Accommodation Process: Information Sheet (PDF) has information about navigating the accommodation process, including medical documentation requirements.
Temerty Medicine is committed to the University of Toronto’s policy on Religious Observance. To learn more about or request an accommodation for religious observance, please book an appointment selecting “Director” who will advise you on next steps.
OLA has collated information pertaining to Religious Supports for Learners.
Guidelines and Policies
OLA provides accessibility services in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Commission's Policy on Accessible Education for Students with Disabilities (2018).